In December 2007, a global call for votes on 440 destinations in 220 countries netted a pared-down list of 77 sites, all vying for one of seven coveted spots as the New Seven Wonders of Nature. Then, on 21 July 2009, a panel of experts announced the even more select list of only 28 finalists.
It is now time for the world to speak and choose the final seven. Optimistic estimates are that 1 billion votes will be cast starting now, throughout 2010 and into 2011, when the official list will be unveiled.
TO ADD YOUR VOICE TO THE TALLY, START HERE.
whl.travel Destinations in the Mix
whl.travel is delighted to note that, of the 28 finalists, eight are covered by the network:
- the Amazon – see Manaus: the Brazilian Port of Entry to the Amazon Rainforest)
- the Dead Sea – take a tour
- Iguazu Falls – see Finding Heaven in Foz do Iguassu
- Jeita Grotto – take a tour
- Komodo National Park – take a tour
- Maldives – learn more about it and then read about Whale Shark Encounters in the Maldives
- Puerto Princesa Underground River – take a tour
- Table Mountain – why not Abseil off Table Mountain
The nomination and voting process is being led by the same team that oversaw the New Seven Wonders of the World, during which 100 million votes were counted.